Skip to main content

Mortar

Mortar, like clay, is another of those neither-liquid-nor-solid substances that can take any shape- although it is best at filling gaps between things more solid than it.

The mortar I'm using is roughly 4 parts sand, 1 part cement, and 1/2 part lime. The lime, I've found, makes the mixture slightly stickier, although I still have trouble sometimes getting it to adhere to the brick. 

I've found that when it comes to mortar, more is more. It's better to overfill and then scrape off the excess, rather than to try to go back after and patch it up. Especially for the joints I'm dealing with- they are anything but regular, and have to be clean on many sides. As well, excess mortar allows me to push the brick down into place, ensuring good contact.

I am still figuring out a good technique for working, as well as trying to decide exactly how I want the joints to be finished. Bevelled? Curved? Recessed? Flush? At the moment, each brick is an experiment.



This simple frame helps me waste less mortar (although I still drop a lot!)

At the moment, my tool of choice is a flat scraper, small enough to get into the gaps between the bricks.

A generous mound of mortar...

The brick is wet- I've dipped it to try to make the mortar stick better.



I check if it is roughly level with itself and with the other bricks. 
Scraping off the excess mortar. I like the gritty 'schick' sound of the metal against the sand.


Comments