Skip to main content

Why I want to build a tiny house

Tiny houses are trendy at the moment. It seems like there are dozens of Youtube channels, blogs, Instagram feeds, etc. published by people choosing to downsize their living space. It almost made me not want to build one, because the last thing I want is to be trendy!

This wordwide community of tiny house dwellers share many common ideals. These include: using less resources, paying less rent, and being closer to nature. And yes, I have these ideals as well. But each person who has made the decision to live in a tiny house has done so due to a different set of circumstances and life goals. The tiny house is simply the physical outcome of these. Some people choose to order one pre-made; others buy plans; others start from scratch. I'm starting from scratch because a) My education as an architect has (hopefully!) given me the tools I need to make one, and b) For once I have the chance to build something entirely for myself and I want it to be as close as possible to my 'dream' home. Ever since I was a kid I have wanted to build myself a house, starting with shacks and snow forts in the backyard.

So here are my personal reasons for building and living in a tiny house:
  • To realise a childhood dream
  • To evaluate and keep a close tab on the resources that I'm using to live (water, heating, electricity)
  • To be able to open doors and step outside onto the earth
  • To move away from a commercial, 'real estate' vision of architecture
  • To prove to myself that I am capable of it
  • To not leave my savings to rot in a bank
  • To pay less rent
  • To live in a space that is meant for me
  • To have a home that is transportable
  • To work with my hands as well as my head
  • To share the process of building with my friends who are interested
To me, both the building and the living aspects of the tiny house are important. As Heidegger writes in his essay 'Building Dwelling Thinking', to build is to dwell and vice versa. And the quest for dwelling, to learn how to be on the earth, is the quest that animates all of humanity- 'mortals ever search anew for the nature of dwelling, that they must ever learn to dwell'.

Comments