Skip to main content

Double beams

For insulation and structural purposes, I wanted the wood structure to be 10cm thick in the walls and 12cm thick in the roof. But that means where the wall attaches to the roof, there is a corner with a surface of 10x12cm. Having a beam with a cross-section of 10x12cm would be overkill, and it would add extra weight that I don’t need. Plus, I have sections of the beam that need to be curved, and it would be very hard to curve a piece of wood that big. Therefore, I’ve decided to build a double beam made of two sections of 2.7x12cm, and put 5cm of insulation between the two sections, for a total thickness of 10cm. The curved parts I had cut out of 3-ply spruce by a CNC router. My first task for the caravan is to assemble these beams.

I’m using my router to make an overlapping joint of 5cm between the curved and straight pieces.


Comments