Skip to main content

Interiors 1

The first step to making the Carabane liveable: put in a bed! I had picked up a slatted bed base for free, second-hand (and hauled it back on the train!). I want there to be room for storage under the bed, so the idea was to attach the bed base on hinges.
It was a bit complicated to figure out how to attach the hinges and in which order (first to the bed base? or first to the wall?). It involved crawling around under the bed trying to reach for drills and screws. I was very happy to be finished!
Next, there was the skylight to insulate and frame:

And next, the wardrobe. I worked on making invisible shelf attachments. I wanted a system with a groove in the shelf that I could slide onto a rail.
I thought I could make a groove that was 7mm deep and then slide it onto a piece of 7mm plywood that I screw into the wall. But 7mm plywood splits way too easily. Driving screws through it made the rail very fragile.
You can see in the bottom right corner that the plywood is splitting because of the screw.
I realised that I didn't actually need the rail- I just needed a few screws, lined up horizontally.

These screws have 7mm heads so they fit very snugly into the groove. Tight enough that I needed a rubber mallet to help me install the shelves...
The hanging rail is just a branch that I picked up on one of my walks in the forest. I like the whimsy of it.
Having a space to hang jackets and sweaters makes it really feel like home.





Comments